The Finger Lakes Landlord Association (FLLA) began in Wayne County, New York in 2008 when a small group of local landlords joined forces to support each other and to share best practices in an effort to protect their investments and to be more profitable. Their vision was to develop an online community of local landlords that would share information. The Association incorporated as a non-profit, 501 (C) 6 entity, allowing membership dues to fund the operating budget.
Since the primary benefit of membership is access to online data, the ongoing development of the Association website has been a patience progression from basic data and email to the sophistication of today's site.
In 2016, membership reached its apex at 162 members. The Association voted to expand membership to landlords and service providers in all of the Finger Lakes region. This geographical area of upstate New York encompasses 14 counties and nearly 280 towns and villages. Membership is open to landlords, property managers as well as any service provider to the rental industry. Service providers or vendors are considered Associate members and offer exclusive discounts to our landlord members.
Membership was, and still is, a non-competitive connection to local landlords who often have busy lives, other businesses or other careers. Regardless of their involvement in outside enterprise, our local landlords care about their properties and the neighborhoods where they provide housing. Being a landlord is more than just owning property, it is running a small business, and collectively, we are the largest group of "small business owners" in the region.
Membership is open to owners and managers of residential or combination of residential / lite commercial or retail rental properties. Associate members are professional service providers or vendors who support landlords' needs. Our members become first-hand references and resources for each other through their experiences. The Association exists to help landlords manage their business with local and regional resources as well as with a depth of collective knowledge from contributing landlords and industry professionals. The collective knowledge of our members gives each of us the opportunity to draw upon hundreds of years of combined local experience.
Mission: Purpose, Goals & Vision
The purpose of the Association is to assist landlord members to become successful through knowledge of the existing housing law, codes, and procedures related to property ownership and management, and to protect the interests and investments of all members
The goal of the Association is to help each other grow and be successful through networking and sharing information.
The vision of the Association is to grow membership in every county of the Finger Lakes region in an effort to effectively and accurately represent landlord issues at the local, state and federal levels.
Finger Lakes Landlords Code of Ethics
- We will work to serve the community in which we live and do business.
- We will strive to maintain our properties so that they add value to the neighborhoods in which they are located.
- We will act fairly and reasonably in our dealings with tenants and treat tenants with honesty and dignity.
- We will strive to provide our tenants with safe, clean and functional housing and will adhere to all safety-related codes.
- We will stringently practice fair housing policies as provided by federal and state law.
- We will strive to keep ourselves informed of and abide by applicable local laws and regulations.
- We will make every effort to respond promptly to tenant requests for service and assistance.
- We will encourage our tenants to also be responsible for our properties and respect our neighbors.
- We will act fairly in all matters regarding security deposits, make only those deductions which are fair, and return security deposits as agreed.